In 2014 Wake Voters elected a new County board. In 2016 I was elected to join that team. Since then we have accomplished a great amount in our effort to make Wake county one of the best places to live in the nation.
- The promise was better funding for schools, the result was an increase from $327 million in 2014 to $430 million in 2018 for a 32% increase in annual support for our public schools. (26% per student)
- The promise was better teacher pay, the result has been a 41% increase in the local supplement over the state pay scale, bringing Wake county teachers to the highest paid in the state, and near the national average. More to do here but a good start.
- The promise was better planning for growth, the result is a rolling 7 year construction plan to add $2.1 billion in new and renovated schools for the future. Annual local funding in construction is up 50% over 2014. Never before has our community done more for our school system.
- The promise was a new transit plan, the result is a countywide vote to make it a reality, and the implementation of expanded bus service and the development of bus rapid transit.
- The promise was parks and open space to protect the natural beauty of this place before it’s is lost forever to development. The result is an active parks and greenway long range plan and the funding of several new parks and critical greenway connections to allow our citizens active recreation and a natural way to stay healthy and enjoy the outdoors.
- The promise was to focus on citizens most in need, and the result is the completion of the counties affordable housing plan, and a real commitment to support more affordable housing options.
- The promise was new jobs and the results is a vibrant community with great new employers opening up right here in Wake County. Each year we are cited by experts around the nation as one of the best places to live in all the nation.
By every measure we have much to be thankful for.
As one of seven commissioners I understand the stewardship responsibility you have placed in me. I promise to you that I will always do my homework, review all the facts and details, question every proposal and be sure all options are considered before we spend your money. I will be responsive to your needs and listen to all. In the end I will only support those requests that will leave a legacy we can all be proud of.
That’s the job, leave it better than we found it.
I hope you agree we have been good stewards, and I hope to retain you support to continue to serve all of Wake county as one of your county commissioners.